Friday, November 08, 2013

Twitter and NaNoWriMo

A little over a decade ago a group of Bay-area writers instituted National Novel Writers' Month (NaNoWriMo), an informal Web-based event which encourages aspiring writers to start churning out that Great American Novel, or at least that novella about dinosaur-human romance, that each of us carries in our head but can't quite commit to paper. While I'm not a novelist myself, I've been piggybacking on this event for the past couple of years to accelerate my own non-fiction writing. This year during NaNoWriMo I am trying to add at least 300 words a day to a project I plan to finish by late December, a short history of the Indians of the Great Lakes region. Those interested in my progress are welcome to follow the short progress posts I am going to start leaving on Twitter. These posts will continue through November 30th, after which I will probably break out the whiskey, or the advent calendar, or the whiskey-based advent calendar.

(I probably will not make much use of the #NaNoWriMo hashtag, since I'm not actually writing a novel, but will use it or something similar to it on my first few posts to distinguish them from my earlier tweets.)

No comments: